Friday, April 1, 2011

Hopes and Dreams

  For years I beat myself up wondering what I did wrong when I was pregnant.  What did I do that caused all these delayment.  Was it because I drank coffee?  Was it because I was around second hand smoke?  Then I got the call from the doctor telling me that Nate had Fragile X.  I was not sure if I was happy that I had answer or mad because I did give him this.  The past six months I have done a lot of soul searching. 
  As a parent we have all these BIG hopes and dreams for our children.  I do!!   When I first found out Nate had fx, the first questions I had was "what does his future hold".  Will he be able to live on his own?  Will he be able to handle school and college?  What about a job and drive a car?  I know only the future will tell.  What I do know I need to be as positive as I can be.  
   Nate loves school.  He knows all the kids names in his class.  He even has a crush on his teacher.  (Its so cute)  Nate counted backward from 5 to 1 the other day.  I was so proud of him.  He did it all on his own.  I know down the road he will have hurdles.  I hope as a mom that I can give him the confidence for him to jump over those hurdles.  My hopes and dreams are still there.  My goals for him are day by day goals. 
  I am blessed that I have a wonderful little boy.  The days where I'm stressed all I have to do is look at his smile.  My heart melts.  I pray each day that the big mean world won't be mean to my wonderful little boy.  
I hope everyone  has a good day:)

1 comment:

  1. I remember wondering the same things you talked about. I even went so far as not returning to my ob/gyn because I was afraid something he did during delivery had caused all the delays. Eventually, of course, we got the diagnosis. Since then, we take it a day at a time. Josh is the happiest teenager I've ever met. He has taught me so much about life and helped me grow as a person, as I was helping him.

    ReplyDelete